Mario's Gelati and Amato Gelato have always been fans of all the wonderful things that go on inside BC Children's Hospital.
As a part of our "Making Local Kids Happy with Local Products" campaign, we personally handed our Mario's Gelati to children, families and care givers of the hospital.
As it turns out, everyone, no matter young or old, came to visit and share their love for gelato and sorbetto. It was a busy, but very special day for us.
Ten inside facts:
(Number 10 is our favourite upcoming initiative where you could help show your support for the BC Children’s Hospital.)
1. In 2015, more than 230,000 patient visits were made at the hospital.
Care is provided for children of all ages who are seriously ill or injured on a daily basis.
2. BC Children's Hospital is the only children's hospital in all of British Columbia.
Families travel from all over BC and the Yukon to receive treatment for their children.
3. When the hospital was build in 1982, the Emergency room was built to handle only 50 patients a day.
Today, the department sees over 100 patients a day.
4. The good news: A new hospital is currently in the making.
The Teck Acute Care Centre will open in November 2017 that will have more space for more patients and their families and a bigger emergency room. Get a virtual tour of the new hospital here.
5. They have three playrooms for children to play in.
One of the rooms is hockey themed which was sponsored by the Vancouver Canucks. The other two are general themed, with children's toys, cooking sets and a library.
6. The amazing staff and Child Life Team work hard to ensure the patients are laughing and smiling on a daily basis.
They have dogs to keep the children smiling and clowns to keep them laughing.
7. Children patients are paired up with older kid mentors who have gone through a similar experience.
This way, they will have an experienced big buddy who can help them know what to expect from kid to kid language before going into surgery.
8. Children who are being treated for cancer are currently hosted on three separate floors.
The new hospital will have enough space to serve all oncology patients on one convenient floor.
9. Part of the funds donated to BC Children's Hospital Foundation's Excellence in Child Health Fund are also allocated to research to find cures and treatments for kids both now and in the future.
Researchers work in a vast areas including childhood cancer and blood research, diabetes and mental health. Click here to learn about how to donate.
10. Marios Gelati and Amato Gelato are creating a new flavour designed by BC Children's Hospital patients!
Children at the hospital were given an entry sheet where they could create any flavour of their dreams.
The winner of this "Create a Cone" Contest will be featured in store with partial proceeds being donated to support the BC Children's Hospital Foundation. Stay tuned for the winning flavour announcement.
Do you know a cool fact about the BC Children's Hospital that we haven't mentioned? Comment below and share your support for all the great work that they do!